Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Postcard #9: The Enunciation - Mark Tansey



Caption: The Enunciation
Mark Tansey
Oil on canvas, 84 x 64 in
© Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

I have to say, I am slowly becoming that crazy lady that always loiters at the thrift store... But it is so rewarding.

This is the first of a Mark Tansey card collection I found at the thrift store.

Mark Tansey is an American artist that specializes in oil paintings on canvases; his "trademark" seems to be a sort of old-fashioned, monochromatic style that uses one single color to set the mood. In this case, we have a sort of purplish/ magenta; to me, it says a sort of elegant nostalgia.

Another thing about Tansey paintings is that they remind me a (very little) bit of Magritte art, such as the realism and the contradiction. I'll be posting more of the Tansey collection postcards, and you guys will probably see what I mean by contradiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment